Can A Dog Eat Mascara?

close-up of NARS Climax Mascara boxes and tubes on a white background

Can a dog eat mascara? Even the most well-behaved dog can get into mischief and sniff his way into your makeup bag! Fido might find your lipstick sweet smelling and want a taste, or may want to chew anything he can get his teeth on.

Fortunately, makeup such as mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner pencils are non-toxic, but if your dog ingests a lot, he can get sick and may need medical assistance from your veterinarian.

What Are The Different Mascara Ingredients?

Most makeup, including mascara, have a grocery list of ingredients, many of which are synthetic and chemically produced. Natural ingredients are also found in mascara and labeled less toxic than its synthetic counterparts. Some ingredients are hard to pronounce!

Mascaras tend to have solvents or diluents as the formula base, which includes water, glycerin, and propylene glycol; pigments that provide color; waxes, gums, fibers, and starches for stabilization and thickness; fats like oils and butters to provide moisturizer; preservatives to prevent and limit bacteria growth; and fragrance for an appealing scent to mask the harsh smells of the other ingredients and chemicals.

Is Mascara Poisonous To Dogs?

Mascara is not poisonous to dogs if consumed and won’t kill a dog unless an abundant amount was ingested. Your dog would have to eat multiple mascara tubes. Zinc and antifreeze products are very poisonous to dogs and any amount ingested can cause death.

If eaten, mascara will genuinely just cause an upset stomach and some digestion problems that will naturally disappear on its own. Since makeup is used close to the eyes and mouth, it is relatively a safe product.

Some brands are 100 percent natural and organic, and won’t contain any chemicals or man-made substances. However, even natural ingredients can be toxic if ingested.

Depending on the quantity ingested and the types of ingredients in the mascara, sometimes a dog may become very ill and will need medical care.

What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Mascara?

If your dog accidentally eats mascara, do not induce vomiting. It is best to let your dog vomit naturally. Forcing a dog to vomit can damage their esophagus and too much vomit can lead to pneumonia. Monitor your dog.

Diarrhea and natural vomiting can be mild symptoms that might not need veterinarian care, but if it is severe, then treatment may be required.

Calling the Animal Poison Control Center or an emergency vet clinic after hours can provide advice and if the situation is determined to be critical, then your dog may need to be brought in for care and treatment.

What Happens If My Dog Eats Lipstick?

Lipstick is a makeup staple and has been part of the makeup industry for a long time. Lipstick adds color and moisture to lips. They can make lips pop.

Historically, lipsticks used to contain harmful ingredients like lead, but thankfully, today lipsticks contain health-friendly ingredients and are not toxic to dogs.

However, the packaging like plastic or metal tubes can cause harm to dogs if swallowed and can cause tears to stomach or cause blockage in the intestinal lining. Dogs can become very sick with digestion problems.

What Do I Do If My Dog Eats An Eyeliner Pencil?

Dogs may mistake eyeliner pencils as chew toys. Just like lipstick, eyeliner pencils have been around for years as well and today’s eyeliner pencils contain non-toxic ingredients. Eyeliner pencils are used to line the eyes, even the water lines close to the eyeball.

Eyeliner pencils can be made out of wood, similar to regular pencils, and can be sharp if bitten into smaller pieces. They can become choking hazards and cause internal wounds if ingested.

If your dog does chew or ingest an eyeliner pencil, pay close attention to him. He might just have an upset stomach. If symptoms last longer than several hours or get worse, then he may need medical attention.

What Happens If My Dog Eats Makeup?

Mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner pencils are all makeup that for the most part are non-toxic to dogs unless eaten in large quantities. The packaging of the products, however, can be more harmful since plastic can be choking hazards.

For the most part, your dog may be slightly sick for awhile, similar to when a human gets an upset stomach from eating a certain food, and won’t be a life-threatening concern.

What Are The Symptoms Of Dog Poisoning?

Symptoms of mild dog poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, bloody feces, and fatigue. Your dog may refuse to eat food or drink water. Poisoning can cause liver or kidney failure and cardiovascular problems that can be very deadly.

Serious symptoms of poisoning that will warrant immediate veterinarian care include severe gastrointestinal signs, internal bleeding, lack of urination and appetite, and liver failure which can cause yellow gums, as well as seizures.

What Do I Do If My Dog Ingested Something Poisonous?

If your dog does ingest something poisonous, such as a product with antifreeze (antifreeze is very poisonous to dogs), then it is critical that your dog be sent to your veterinarian or an emergency vet clinic as soon as possible.

Serious complications can include heart issues, limited breathing, seizures, and even death, so immediate care is crucial. Bring any remains of the makeup and/or packaging, like the label to the vet so he/she can be informed of the ingredients. It can also be beneficial to collect any vomiting or diarrhea sample from your dog for testing if needed.

Your veterinarian may safely induce vomiting, flush the dog’s stomach, provide activated charcoal to absorb any toxins or chemicals, or may choose to conduct surgery if needed. Medications such as antibiotics and painkillers can help your dog heal, especially if the kidneys or liver were harmed.

Final Thoughts: Can A Dog Eat Mascara?

A responsible pet owner will make sure that all makeup is locked and secured away from pets. Just like you would baby-proof a home, the same concept applies to dog-proofing your home. If a dog is prone to jumping up on counters and tables, then makeup should be kept high out of reach.

Most makeup, especially natural organic brands, are non-toxic to pets, so if your dog does ingest them, he most likely won’t suffer from any serious health complications other than mild digestion problems.

However, it is often better to be safe than sorry, so if you are concerned that your pet consumed a large quantity of makeup or not sure about the exact ingredients in your makeup, then calling your veterinarian for advice is the safest best.


If you enjoyed reading this article, check out some of our other amazing blog posts:

Categorized as Makeup

By Daphnie Bachmann

Daphnie Bachmann is a licensed esthetician and beauty writer at Kintegra Research. She loves beauty and skincare. She always has her eyes open for the next new beauty or skincare product to test out and review. She's driven by her passion for the beauty industry and is always willing to share her beauty secrets!